Libegun Aregbe Residents Cry Out to Gov Abiodun Over Alleged Fresh Land Encroachment



Solanke Ayomideji Taiwo

Residents and indigenous people of Libegun Aregbe community in Ogun State have called on the state Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, CON, to urgently intervene over what they described as an alleged illegal encroachment on their ancestral land by the Ogun State Ministry of Housing.

The residents raised the alarm on Sunday, August 23, 2026, alleging that the Ministry of Housing had commenced moves to take over the remaining portion of land left for the survival and expansion of the more than 400-year-old community.

According to the community leaders, the fresh development comes after the state government allegedly took over more than 100 hectares of Libegun Aregbe land in 2020 for a housing development project.

The residents claimed that, although the land taken in 2020 was used for the construction of estates which are now being sold to interested buyers, the community had accepted the acquisition because of its support for development under the administration of Governor Abiodun.

However, the community is now expressing concern over what it described as a fresh attempt to extend the takeover into the remaining land available to the indigenous people.

Speaking with our correspondent, the Baale of Libegun Aregbe, Chief John Akinsola, said the state government allegedly entered the community's land in 2020 without prior dialogue with him or the people of the village.

According to him, over 100 hectares of land were taken over by the government on the grounds that the land had been acquired for development.

Chief Akinsola said the community did not resist the process because its people believed in the development agenda of the Ogun State Government.

He explained that the community's land has existed for more than 400 years and urged the state government to protect the interests and survival of the indigenous people.

The traditional leader therefore appealed to Governor Abiodun to intervene in the matter and call the Commissioner for Housing and the Permanent Secretary of the ministry to order over the alleged fresh encroachment.

“In the year 2020, the state government came into our land without any dialogue with the Baale and the people of the village. They took over more than 100 hectares of our land, claiming it was an acquisition.

“We accepted the process because we support development in Ogun State under the administration of Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun, CON. But this land has been in existence for over 400 years.


“We are now appealing to the state government to intervene and call the Commissioner for Housing and the Permanent Secretary of the ministry to order. The people of Libegun Aregbe also deserve to survive,” the Baale said.

Also speaking, the President of the Indigenous People of Libegun Aregbe, Engr. Olawale Julius Olumuyiwa, described the alleged fresh invasion as unacceptable and called for an immediate intervention by the state government.

Olawale said that after the alleged takeover of 100 hectares of the community's land in 2020, a fence was erected to mark the boundary of the acquired area, while the remaining land was left for the expansion and survival of the village.

He said the community was therefore surprised when a bulldozer was allegedly brought into the area on the night of Saturday, August 22, 2026, raising fears among residents that a fresh land-clearing operation would commence on Sunday.

The community leader alleged that the new development was aimed at taking over the remaining land of the village.

“We are asking, in a civilised country like Nigeria, how can government invade a village land without any dialogue with the Baale and the indigenous people?

“In 2020, they took over 100 hectares and erected a fence as the boundary. The remaining land was left as an extension for our village to survive. They invaded our lands without adequate compensation, they erected boreholes and refused to give the village water, they brought transformers to their estate but refused to give the village electricity, no streetlights, nothing...

“To our surprise, a bulldozer was brought in last night, August 22, and we believe the invasion was meant to commence today, Sunday, August 23, 2026.

“We, the indigenous people of Libegun Aregbe, condemn this development and call on the Ogun State Government, under the leadership of Prince Dapo Abiodun, CON, to urgently intervene in what we consider an illegal invasion of our remaining land,” Olumuyiwa stated.

Another resident and indigenous stakeholder, Mr. Haruna Ali Adele, warned that the alleged encroachment could lead to the eventual extinction of the community if the remaining portion of land was taken over.

According to him, the extension which the government is allegedly seeking to acquire is the only remaining land available for the future growth and survival of Libegun Aregbe village.

He therefore called for a quick and decisive intervention from Governor Abiodun to prevent further escalation of the crisis.

“If the remaining extension of our land is taken away, it could mean the permanent end of Libegun Aregbe village. The land they now want to encroach upon is what remains for our people to live and expand.»

“We need urgent intervention from the state government to stop this alleged illegal invasion before it becomes too late,” Adele said.

The residents collectively appealed to Governor Abiodun, whom they described as a leader committed to peace and development, to personally look into the matter and ensure that the concerns of the indigenous people are addressed.

They maintained that while the community supports infrastructural and housing development across Ogun State, such development should not come at the expense of the continued existence and survival of Libegun Aregbe and its indigenous people.

As of the time of filing this report, the Ogun State Ministry of Housing had not issued a public response to the allegations by the community.

The residents are therefore calling for an urgent dialogue between the Ogun State Government, the Ministry of Housing, the Baale and the indigenous people of Libegun Aregbe to prevent further tension and find a peaceful resolution to the land dispute.

Post a Comment

0 Comments